The Flying Lampie is the working title I (Kris Goodman) use for all of my lighting and production photography work.
Lighting is something that has been a large interest of mine ever since I can remember. I think it all started when I was taken to pantos as a child and the magic of the theatre took over.
Photography is a little different however, my interest in photography came more from wanting to capture and document my own lighting work to be able to showcase that and my love of the camera was instantly born.
I am a lighting designer and lighting programmer based in Glasgow, Scotland, but work on shows all over the UK, Europe and the rest of the world specializing in the programming of MA Lighting’s GrandMA2 range of consoles however I am familiar with other platforms. Having the ability to pre-program shows in advance in the day and age is key to producing a great looking show, so for that reason, I hold a WYSIWYG perform licence from Cast Software to aid in designing/programming shows of any kind.
Most commonly I find myself working in the music side of the production industry, but I am just as capable of working with corporate events and within music/tv broadcasts. I have also found myself programming some architectural installation (both interactive and stand-alone).
Photography is something that I started so I could take photos of my own work to be able to showcase some of my shows and keep memories of. After I had perfected my methods of capturing the shows I had been working on I started doing the same for other lighting designers. This allowed me to build up my photography equipment to aid shooting shows from multiple angles at the same time.
Kris Goodman has shot a number of my shows and every time has delivered super results, as a lighting designer himself he knows when a lighting cue or a look in a show may be coming. He has the perfect mix of knowing how a show works and how to shoot it.Tim Routledge (Tim Routledge Lighting Design)
The Classic Grand
I started working at The Classic Grand back in 2006 when it first opened its doors as a music venue and club. Back then I was the sole lighting engineer working on a freelance basis under the technical manager at the time. As time grew on I eventually took on the role of technical manager myself after the previous person mover on to bigger and better things. At. the venue we had many different types of events ranging from simple club nights, corporate parties, live music, touring acts with their own shows & production as well as weddings, dance classes and movie nights. I think I saw just about everything come through our doors that possibly could.
Eventually came the time for me to move on myself to bigger and better things but a part of me would always feel at home at the Classic Grand, so for a long time I managed the technical side of things from afar, this included doing everything from technical rotas, leasing with incoming promoters/tours about upcoming event production. This eventually took its toll on me and I could no longer offer the amount go time required to keep looking after things without letting it slip so I passed my roll down. To this day I still offer advice to techs at the venue and pop in every so often to see the many friends I have made over the years there.
Having had Kris’ wealth of experience and expertise at the venue since I took over has been invaluable to not just the staging of events, but also to the operation of the venue. Kris has always more than happy to help should we need any advice or assistance.Gary Broadhurst (Owner, The Classic Grand)
I’ve had the pleasure of working with Kris Goodman for longer than we both can remember. His designs and attention to detail are amazing. Everything is always amazingly on time. No stress with Kris just good banter as things get done even better than you wanted.Mallorca Lee (Artist & Event Promoter)
- Not3s (Radio 1 Biggest Weekend)
- Skepta (Parklife Festival)
- Robinson College May Ball
- Sigrid (European Summer Festivals)
- Wilkinson Live (Reading & Leeds)
- Bring Me The Horizon (First Love World Tour)
- Kurupt FM (The last tour ever, Probably)
- Saint PHNX (Debut Show)
- Arts & Business Awards Scotland (2015)
- Hudson Mohawke (Festival Dates)
- Pusha T (Darkest Before Dawn European Tour)
- Edinburgh Digital Entertainment Festival
- Badminton Scotland
- Hudson Mohawke Lantern Live Tour 2015 [Lighting Tech/MA Network Tech]
- Busted Pigs Can Fly Tour [Production Photography]
- Vigo Thieves @ The Arches 2013 [Lighting Designer/Operator]
- Vigo Thieves @ King Tuts 2013 (back 2 back sell out) [Lighting Operator]
- Jack Whitehall’s ‘Hit The Road Jack’ (Glasgow) [LX Crew Chief]
- Scottish Fashion Awards 2012 @ Clyde Auditorium [Lighting Designer/Operator]
- Vigo Thieves @ King Tuts 2012 [Lighting Operator]
- Club Noir NYE 2011-2012 [Lighting Designer/Operator]
- Highway 2 Hell 2011 [Lighting Operator]
- Scottish New Music Awards 2011 [Lighting Opeartor]
- Scottish Fashion Awards 2011 @ GSC [Lighting Designer/Operator]
- A Question of Science with Brian Cox [Lighting Designer/Operator]
- Scottish Fashion Awards 2010 @ GSC [Lighting Designer/Operator]
- Gordon Ramsey Gala Dinner 2010 @ GSC [Lighting Designer/Operator]
- Gordon Ramsey Gala Dinner 2009 @ GSC [Lighting Designer/Operator]
- Scottish Royal Variety Performance 2009 [Programmer/Operator]
- Darvel Music Festival (Multiple years) [Lighting Designer/Operator]
- West FM Live @ Ayr Central Live Shows
- Cash For Kids Christmas Lunches 2008 & 2009 [Lighting Designer/Operator]
***Photo of Kris Goodman by Lewis Milne***